dimanche, mai 30, 2010

Jean-Marie Gleize

Lyon: end of Jean-Marie Gleize's 10 years presidency at the Centre d'Etudes Poétiques (Center for Poetic Studies): a great two days experience, a poetic orgy. We saw incredible films made by poets (especially the ones made by Eric Pellet/JM Gleize; the one made by Jacques Henri Michot; the Nathalie Quintane/Stéphane Bérard saynètes). I was impressed by the possibilities of combining a poetic text + images. We listened to many poets readings or paying hommage to Jean-Marie Gleize's generosity & devotion to poetry. I red poems published in his poetry magazine Nioques (it was also the 20th anniversary of it). I could hear the public laugh when I red "Sottie for Pierre Boulez" (French composer) that starts with these words: "Pierre Boulez bought ham. 4 slices…" We had a performance of Sylvain Courtoux, a poet who made a rock opera about the life of a poet-loser.

je lis

It was also a filming day: I shot a sequence about the Center for my documentary about contemporary poetry in France. My favorite shot is a young student called Juliette, hanging coloured tee-shirts on shutters in the sun, in the student house. All the event was made possible by poets like Noura Wedell, who's working at the Center. I met Noura in 2000 after a show in Brooklyn with Momus & Phiiliip; this is how music & poetry meet.

The same day 28th may is "Goto" release date. This is why, after my reading, I proposed to make a short concert d'écoute (a suggestion of poet Dorothée Volut), where you play the album to the audience, without playing or singing... 10 years ago, thinking of this album (I'm a title man, titles come first), I wanted to make Toog "Goto Togo". I started to learn a Togo dialect called Ewe with a Togolese man. Eventually, "Goto Togo" became "Goto"... The first articles about "Goto" are published in Austria & Germany; Rai radio in Italia plays "Goto"! And France is asleep.

toog goto cover

うとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうとうと