jeudi, octobre 25, 2007

Yesterday night, we went to see Natasha Khan from Bat for lashes with my ex-girlfriend and new wife Florence, after having listened to her myspace page and seen her new video "What's A Girl To Do". It's like finding a treasure that everybody knows. Like the grotesque Toog video in which I discover a new planet which happens to only be the moon. Khan and her trio of poly-instrumentists girls gave us a moment of pure enchantment. Performing the song Sarah or I saw a light was like heaven. The harmonies, arrangements, singing, the grace of Natasha, all was combined to deliver one of the most beautiful pop experience I've ever had. A minimal complexity that's close to perfection. Happy birthday to the singer, she turns 28 today!

Before the concert, we went to see the exhibition at the MEP. I was happy to see Tulsa in real. The original Clark's portraits are thousands light years from this not so recent fashion virage towards fake trash for the rich kids. As a teenager, Larry Clark was a photographer, helping her mom to do portraits of babies and learning to make them smile, while his dad stayed prostrate on the first floor of the family house. One day he watched Larry and said, calmly: "you're a shit, my son" and then they stopped communicating. Larry went on drugs for years... This is something that recalls me my own teenage time. But, as my friends went on drugs and delinquency, committing robbery, suicide, dealing or taking drogues more or less dures, I started to become shy, listening and making music, writing poetry or riding my old Bultaco 350 Sherpa in the forest...

I have finished to collect the songs for Goto, the possible next Toog album. But right now I don't write songs. Because of the other projects (film, poetry, music for a play). Also because I want to find a new direction for my future songs. It will probably take years. I want it to sound new to my ears. I want to record with live musicians and programs. The clues for this musical journey are rythmn, noise, melody, abstraction.

Thanks to you, my friends, who witnessed and blessed our wedding on the 20th october, especially those who came from a long distance, Edwyn, Joseph and Alton, Nick and Hisae. It was a small but a beautiful wedding and ceremony, thanks to the few people and family, and also the priest, Père Xavier Lefèbvre (pictures to be added soon)...