vendredi, février 17, 2006

albi montana la courneuve

In the sixties we had the french nouvelle vague, in the seventies we had Gainsbourg and Cloclo, in the eighties we only had ads, in the nineties we had Air (seventies again?) and Daft Punk, in the oo's we have hip hop and rap from our well knowned suburbs. This singer (Albi Montana) is in his right, even if it's not interesting to insult the ministre de l'intérieur Sarkozy (our futur President?). He sings that all what he's deserving is a kick in his ass, having talked in La Courneuve about massive Kärcher action against the bad boys (the poors?). The singer is threatened to be prosecuted for his freedom of speaking... I know this area. In the past, I used to be teaching french litterature there, lycée Jacques Brel (!). La Courneuve is part of this exploding suburbs belt from the last november. I remember to have prepared a course about "the Bible in poetry"; some young muslims said: why the Bible, why not the Coran? One girl said: it's forbidden for our poets to rewrite a sourat and make a poem from or about it. An other girl said that it's permitted. I told them: I'm not used with this culture; if you find the original and then a rewritten version by an arab poet, bring it here. But they didn't know their culture enough to find something. Later, some of them were horrified by our poets freedom: Pierre Bettencourt, for instance, writing a blasphemous (and funny) version of La Samaritaine. I loved these girls, they were extremely reactive and quick minded. They kept saying to me: monsieur, go faster, monsieur, bring la suite. I said: we are not in a restaurant. A difficult but nice experience, one of the most interesting of my life. In this all rap suburb, a young man even asked me about Bobby Lapointe, saying that it's great stuff...